China says ‘not aware’ of Peng Shuai situation


China’s Foreign Ministry on Friday stuck to its line that it wasn’t aware of the controversy surrounding tennis professional Peng Shuai, who disappeared after accusing a former top official of sexually assaulting her.

Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian told reporters that the matter was “not a diplomatic question and I’m not aware of the situation.”

The ministry has consistently disavowed knowledge of the issue since Peng made her accusation more than two weeks ago.

The 35-year-old former top-ranked player in women’s doubles won titles at Wimbledon in 2013 and the French Open in 2014. She also participated in three Olympics, making her disappearance all the more prominent with Beijing set to host the Winter Games starting Feb. 4.

EDITOR’S PICKS

What we know about tennis player Peng Shuai’s sexual assault allegations and current whereabouts
16hD’Arcy Maine

WTA raises ‘concerns’ on Peng Shuai statement
13h

Biden ‘considering’ diplomatic boycott of Games
1h
Liz Throssell, a spokeswoman for the U.N. human rights office in Geneva, said Friday it was calling for “an investigation with full transparency into her allegation of sexual assault.”

“And I think we would say that that should be the case into all allegations of sexual assault. It is really important to ensure accountability, to ensure justice for the victims,” she said.

The International Olympic Committee declined to comment Friday, saying in an emailed statement: “Experience shows that quiet diplomacy offers the best opportunity to find a solution for questions of such nature. This explains why the IOC will not comment any further at this stage.”

Peng wrote in a lengthy social media post on Nov. 2 that she had been forced to have sex despite repeated refusals three years ago by Zhang Gaoli, a former vice premier who was a member of the ruling Communist Party’s all-powerful Politburo Standing Committee.

The post was quickly deleted from her verified account on Weibo, a leading Chinese social media platform, but screenshots of the explosive accusation were shared on the internet.

Steve Simon, the chairman and CEO of the Women’s Tennis Association, questioned the authenticity of what a Chinese state media outlet said this week was an email intended for him in which Peng said she was safe and that the assault allegation was untrue. It was tweeted by CGTN, the international arm of Chinese state broadcaster CCTV.

The State Council Information Office, which represents the Chinese government, did not respond to emailed questions about Peng’s current situation and Simon’s doubts about the email.

Got a story or tip for us? Email Sports Gossip editors at tips@sportsgossip.com 

Want More From Sports Gossip? 

For all the latest breaking Sports Gossip, be sure to follow SportsGossip.com on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.

You can view the original article HERE.

Erica Muse Doubles Down on Horror Genre Films with Two New Releases
Erica Muse Doubles Down on Horror Genre Films with Two New Releases
Short Films in Focus: Trapped (with Sam Cutler-Kreutz)
Short Films in Focus: Trapped (with Sam Cutler-Kreutz)
Hulu’s “The Testaments” Returns to Gilead For Another Timely Tale About Privilege and Complicity 
Hulu’s “The Testaments” Returns to Gilead For Another Timely Tale About Privilege and Complicity 
Sundance 2026: Extra Geography, Filipiñana, The Huntress | Festivals & Awards
Sundance 2026: Extra Geography, Filipiñana, The Huntress | Festivals & Awards
No Preview
Fatboy Slim to reissue seminal debut album ‘Better Living Through Chemistry’
No Preview
Townies share new song ‘Wednesday’ in response to Wednesday’s ‘Townies’
No Preview
This is what it sounded like when everyone at Boomtown festival got the government wildfire phone alert at once
No Preview
Marvel reveal new ‘X-Men’ cast, including Adam Driver as Mister Sinister
No Preview
Furious Season 1 Episode 6 Review: They Make Noise Like Feathers
No Preview
Dead City Season 3 Episode 4 Review: Is Maggie Getting a New Love Interest?
No Preview
Lioness Season 3 Episode 3 Review: There’s No Turning Back Now
No Preview
Big Brother Spoilers: Veto Winner Could Set Up Major Chaos This Week
No Preview
Yankees beat Blue Jays in extras to avoid sweep
No Preview
Andy Pollin Reflects on Cumulus Media Layoffs Potentially Closing His Legendary Sports Radio Career
No Preview
Bears’ Bryant out 4-6 months after knee surgery
No Preview
Scheffler shoots 61 to take 3-shot lead in Memphis in playoff opener
No Preview
Kim Kardashian Calls Kylie Jenner ‘Princess Kitty Baby Sis’ in a Sweet Birthday Note
No Preview
Noah Kahan Wraps Back-to-Back Denver Shows with a Heartfelt Thank-You
No Preview
Serena Williams Says Betting on Yourself Is More Powerful Together
No Preview
Megan Thee Stallion’s Ice-Cold Tease Has Listeners Guessing What Comes Next
No Preview
Shein’s IPO Valuation Target Drops In Wake of Legal Woes
No Preview
Everything You Need To Know About Lavazza’s Groundbreaking New Product Tablì
No Preview
ITA to Return to Coterie to Showcase the Best of “Made In Italy”
No Preview
A New Face at Centric Brands, The Society Gets Into Sports,
Erica Muse Doubles Down on Horror Genre Films with Two New Releases
Erica Muse Doubles Down on Horror Genre Films with Two New Releases
Paulino Releases “Don’t Give Up On Me” — A Global Anthem of Resilience Lands Worldwide
Paulino Releases “Don’t Give Up On Me” — A Global Anthem of Resilience Lands Worldwide
The Ultimate Chip By Howard Bloom
The Ultimate Chip By Howard Bloom
Lost Weekend: Turncoat Syndicate’s Energetic Return to Alt. Rock
Lost Weekend: Turncoat Syndicate’s Energetic Return to Alt. Rock